Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Plaid Owl Toddler Backpack


Seems like I'm always making things for my shop but this backpack was a "pleasure" sew.  I made it for my cousin in-law's daughter for her 1st birthday.  I think our kids are second cousins?? 

I am such a big fan of plaid.  I hope she will be too.   She's still little so hopefully she will use it as she becomes more independent.

I made this while I was sewing Molly's Pink Owl toddler backpack.  As you can see, I used a bluer (is that a word?) dark denim.


I like that the plaid gives it the appearance of having more texture.  Don't ask me why I made it cross eyed.  I must've been sewing late at night!

I did a flat side pocket and an A initial.  I used a beige colour for the piping and webbing that I don't normally use for the shop.  


Another point to note is that I now close off the piping so that it's more seamless looking.  Previously, I followed Rae's pattern instructions but I think this looks much better. 


I'm no longer doing it the old way.  


Here's the back view


I lined it with an owl print and inserted a large flat inner pocket.  So great for keeping diapers separate from other things.  Yes Mamas, your little one can carry his or her own diapers and a small pack of wipes.  This means you can wear a normal purse again.  Yessss!!!!


I added a green bias tape to finish it up. 


And here's another shot


If you would like more information on my toddler backpacks, please view my 2014 Toddler Backpack FAQs.  However, if you know how to sew and would like to tackle this project, visit Made by Rae's website to purchase a PDF copy of the pattern.

http://handmadebyjt.blogspot.ca/2014/02/frequently-asked-questions-about-my.html


Happy Sewing!
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I really like your writing style. great information. thankyou for posting.
    My toddler

    ReplyDelete