Thursday, March 20, 2014

Duck Toddler Backpack in Mint

Introducing... a new design!  Shall we say "hello" or "quack"?


Way back in 2012, I made a grey owl toddler backpack for Sarah's daughter.  Fast forward to 2014 and she's got another little one who needs to have a backpack like her big sister.


I love new design time!  Sarah and I discussed what she wanted and I sketched out a design for her.  First we thought a white duck would be nice but I had a feeling there wouldn't be enough definition for the eyes.  Her sister had a grey owl so we thought maybe grey.  But then Sarah asked about doing a duck in mint and I was sold!  We've had so much snow since December that the thought of doing a bright duck felt very spring-like.

My inspiration?  Our bathtub rubber ducky


Here's a pic of us figuring out what colour the duck should be.  I did actually like the grey but there was something about the mint one.   One of my other customers suggested tan feet for her pink owl toddler backpack, so I incorporated it in this layout too.


We also discussed putting a wing on the duck as per my original design.  However, in the end, it was just a cleaner look to exclude it.


We also discussed "short feet" vs "tall feet".  Hubby suggested red rubber boots (I'll have to keep that in mind for the next one!).


There are elasticized pockets on each side.


Here's a pic of the back.   I used a dark brown piping, bias tape, zipper and webbing.


The quilted bottom


I found the lining a while ago and was waiting for the right backpack to use it on.


While I like the basic brown that I normally use, there's something very happy about this yellow lining. 


I would have loved to do some outdoor pictures but there's too much snow on the grass.  I guess the front porch will have to do...


More wishful thinking for spring weather.  (Couldn't find our yellow boots but Spiderman boots will do too!)


I'm crossing my fingers that ducky helps usher us into a nice spring.   We are ready for the warmer weather!

If you would like more information on my toddler backpacks, please view my 2014 Toddler Backpack FAQs.  However, if you know how to sew and would like to tackle this project (appliques are my designs), visit Made by Rae's website to purchase a PDF copy of the toddler backpack pattern.

http://handmadebyjt.blogspot.ca/2014/02/frequently-asked-questions-about-my.html


Happy Sewing!
Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you could answer a question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Can you explain the lining you make? Is it attached on the inside? It looks like it's a separate piece in some pictures, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the lining is attached to all of my backpacks. Could you please let me know which backpack you are referring to? Thanks

      Delete
  3. Do you or anyone you know make this backpack for sale? I would love one with the duck on it.

    ReplyDelete