Last year, I made Joshie a templar knight costume. It was a little too big last year but it fits perfectly now. He agreed to wear it again since none of the kids at his new school have seen it yet. I was starting to get worried that I'd be making something last minute.
We put on his costume and practiced trick-or-treating over on main street. It was cold and so most of his costume was hidden under a bulky jacket and gloves. Then I realized, he needs a cape/cloak!!!
So I made him a cape which took no more than 30 min and we are now set. Maybe it'll rain again this year, or maybe it'll snow. Either way, he'll look like he's wearing a costume.
Here's a side by side. I used some old fabric that I had in my stash that was originally intended for me.
My model was at school so the mannequin had to stand in.
Here's how I did it.
First I folded my fabric in half. If I made the cape shorter, then I would have cut it out (like in pic 1) and continued on. However, my fabric wasn't long enough so I had to join some more fabric to complete the arc (pic 2)
This is what the joined fabric looked like.
After I cut out the arcs, the rest was just finishing touches.
I did a rolled hem with my serger around the entire cape (except for the neckline).
Then I used some bias tape to bind up the neckline
Easy peasy! Maybe I need one too...