Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tutorial: Personalized Kid Pants

This week is Kids Clothes Week Challenge over at Elsie Marley's blog.   So what is KCWC?  It's an open challenge to her readers to sew one hour a day, each day for 7 days.  The end result should be new clothes for the kiddies. 

Photobucket

This week has been super busy for me so I don't really have too much to show for...  except some fabulous pants for my little man.


Here's how I did it: 

First I cut out two sides of the pants in denim fabric.  There's a ton of tutorials and patterns on how to sew pants.  Just search on "tutorial toddler pants" and you'll find a ton.  I find that it's hard to fit my son with store bought pants becuase he has a baby budha tummy and a baby budha bum.  Pants that fit his belly/bum are way too big for the rest of him.   I traced a pattern from a pair of pants that fit him well.

I printed out the letter "M" off of my computer and matched the size to the pants.  Then I ironed on some interfacing to the wrong side of the applique fabric.  I traced the "M", cut it out, and glued it onto the pants leg approx 2.5" from the bottom fold.  I appliqued using brown thread. 


Then of course I had to put a label on it:


Here's my little guy at Indigo/Chapters


I love how the applique matches his shoes


Too bad the Government of Canada doesn't host something like KCWC.  Maybe I'd file early!!

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Nice idea for a shower gift if the mother-to-be has already revealed the sex and name of the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cuuute idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am now following your blog, and am looking forward to reading your future posts!

    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete