Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tutorial: Easy Christmas Stocking

Today we are going to make personalized stockings!

Skill Level: Easy
Items Needed:  Stocking, Felt, Scissors, Needle, Coordinating Thread, Glue Stick
Average Time: 10 minutes

Monkey is interested in all things Christmas.  Last year, he was just beginning to understand but this year, he’s actually asking us questions.  When we first told him about the stockings, he ran to his room and started putting little toys in his socks.  He’s the best!  So I figured, it’s time to go get some Christmas stockings.  With not a lot of time left before Christmas, I decided not to make one from scratch.   They are probably the easiest thing in the world to sew but I have an even easier way to personalize our Christmas stockings.

I went to the Dollarama and got these.  Most people know that I love to DIY most of my projects.  But sometimes, it’s not necessary to DIY the whole thing.   These stockings are cute enough for the kids – probably could be sturdier – but totally do-able.



Choose stockings that have the fold over top.



















Buy a sheet of inexpensive felt from Michaels or another craft store.  Felt is great because it doesn’t fray.  Jersey is also a great choice but anything else will most likely fray and won’t look good over the long run.

You can free-hand draw your initials onto the felt but I like to sample some of the newer fonts and designs that are available for free on the internet.  Open up a word processing program and choose a large font size (150-200) and your font.  I used a font called “Ravie” for our stockings.  To save on ink, in font properties, click on “outline” so that you only print the outline.    


Cut out your initial and trace it onto the felt.  I like to turn the initial around so that my pen marks don’t show on the final product.










Glue the initial onto your stocking.













Hand stitch the initial to the stocking














Voila!  You are done!  

There's still time to enter Sew Mama Sew's Giveaway!  Click here for my contribution or click on the link below to see some other great stuff!



0 comments:

Post a Comment